Come along for a fun quiz evening on Friday 10th…
Funding to support the delivery of PE and school sport in primary schools was introduced in 2013 by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
Funds were awarded to all state-maintained schools with primary aged pupils for the academic years 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
Our school has received approximately £7,500 a year to be spent on improving the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils. We believe that we offer a fantastic sports programme at St. John’s. Our pupils are very enthusiastic about sport and our sports programme is extensive and innovative. We:
- enter many sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages
- are active members of the Barnet Partnership for School Sport
- expect to receive the Silver Games Mark award in 2014-15
- participate in quality assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching PE and sport
- employ swimming coaches to run our school pool and provide weekly lessons for children from 3-11 years of age
- ensure that no child leaves our school unable to swim at least 25 metres
- employ specialist sports coaches to enrich children’s sporting experiences (see our ‘sport enrichment’ programme
- run a ‘challenge4life’ lunchtime course for targeted pupils
- have a dedicated team of sports teachers who are committed to providing the best sports experiences possible
- offer a wide range of after school sports clubs which are run by school staff and outside coaches
- support local sports organisations and signpost children to clubs where they can develop their expertise through specialist coaching
- encourage ‘sport for all’ as well as competitive sport
- enjoy great success (which is disproportionate to our size) in local, regional and national sports competitions: Barnet Athletics champions (last 4 years), North London School Table Tennis Champions (twice in last three years), ‘NPower League National Runners up (2012 finalists at Old Trafford), Barnet Schools Football Champions, L.A. representatives at London Youth Games (football 2010 & 2013, rugby 2010)
None of the above is or was funded through the government Sports Grant. These activities are run at considerable expense (time and money) by the school with generous support (£2,500 p.a.) from the PTFA. The past four years of Sports Funding was however set aside to fund an all-weather sports pitch which was successfully installed during the summer of 2016 at a cost of approximately £80,000. This would not have been possible without significant government funding.
And just in case you hadn’t realised ……. we are also very lucky to own our own swimming pool! Visit the Swimming page of our website to find out more!
PLEASE REFER TO THE ‘School Calendar’ on the homepage of our website to see the extensive range of sports activities we offer and promote.
At St. John’s WE LOVE OUR SPORT!
Click on the tab below to learn more about how we are using this year’s Sports Grant and the positive impact it is having on the children:
Click on the tab below to see our ‘2017 Sport Enrichment’